Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

My Life's 3 Little Secrets

The quotations that usually make a mark on us are the ones that make us feel uncomfortable. They are the ones that usually make us stand up and push us to move.

This is exactly how I felt while I was browsing the website called Life’s Little Secret by Pru Like UK. The website is filled with eye-candy photos and quotable quotes that are full of wisdom. But while I was browsing and enjoying the designs as well as the lessons, I noticed that something is jolting inside me. I paused and breathed deeply. The quotations are discomforting.

Then I realized something. The most discomforting quotes are the ones that change us the most.

Looking at the beautifully designed memes, I thought I will be offered a chance to take a break from the daily grind. I was wrong. The quotations are nuggets of wisdom that will pull your arms, tell you to stand up and click the trigger of the gun announcing the beginning of your marathon.

The most memorable memes are the ones that imprinted a mark on me the most and I’d like to share my top 3 to you.

1. It is not the length of life, but depth of life.

This meme caught my eye because of its deep blue color. The quotation got me reading it again and again because of the profound wisdom that it has. It made me ask myself how deep I am living my life. Am I really living a meaningful life? What makes a life deeply-lived?

I realized that a life well-spent is a life that is focused on what truly matters. And what truly matters in the world, as I have learned it for the past 25 years, is relationship with God and others. It is not money, ambition, career, pleasure and other temporary things. I believe this not only because I have read it in the Bible, which is the source of truth, but also because I have lived it. I believe in giving importance to things that never leave us – the ones that will stay until the end. That is why relationships and family are important. Even when we lose material things along the way, we have the people who truly love us who will stick with us no matter what. Love is important. Love is the supreme virtue.




I have also learned that we should not regret the people and things that we have lost along the way. People and things come and go but the ones that stayed are the ones that are meant to stay. If a person or an object departed from us, let us not be saddened, or worse, blame ourselves. Let us always remember that everything happens for a reason and if a person or an object is meant to stay, he/she/it will stay.

We will learn in life that not everything depends on us, no matter how much we try to carry the world. We will only be a part of a much bigger equation, of a much bigger world. And the world doesn’t revolve around us. The soonest we realize this fully, the happier we will be. Knowing how to release to God the things that we can’t control God shall lead us to learning more truths that bring peace and contentment.

2. At 25 you find yourself, at 45 you know yourself, and at 65 you can be yourself.

I am 25 and am currently experiencing the so-called “quarter life crisis.” First, I thank God that He allowed me to experience this. I believe that pain is what digs it down deeper within us – helping us live “deeper” lives. Second, I also want to say that it is painful. It is very painful that it can bring me to the very point in my life when I randomly chose the course I will take during college. It can bring me to asking myself, “Did I really take the right course for me?”, “What if I pursued Communications Arts back in college?” and “What if I am meant to be in a TV production career?” And these questions are really painful because there's nothing I can do to turn back the hands of time.

I ask all these sorts of mind-boggling questions that leave a burning sensation inside me. It is crazy. It is painful and very uncomfortable. It’s been five years since I finished college and I can’t believe it is only now that I am asking these questions. Why did I not ask these questions when I was in my 2nd year? Why only now?

As I am writing this, it dawned upon me. Quarter life crisis is meant to happen and it must be for a good reason. I don’t know exactly how this will help me as a person but there’s an assurance deep inside me that it will benefit me a lot later on. For now, I am contented with the fact that quarter life crisis really does come and there’s no point skipping it nor denying it.

In fact, I am embracing it wholeheartedly right now! Yes, I still don’t know if I took the right course! Yes, I still don’t know what had happened had I taken Communication Arts! Yes, I still don’t know if I was really born to be a TV producer! I don’t know. I don’t know. I don’t know.

But it doesn’t matter now. What matters is I am here. I am fully here where I am right now – writing this blog post and fully alive. I have a job, a purpose, a task to do. I am starting to know my priorities one by one and my life is unfolding in front of me day by day. I also know that God is watching me all the time and cares about everything that I do. I also have faith that He will lead me to where He wanted me to be. And I want His will to be done because He is the one who created me. And no one will ever know what is best for me than my Maker. This is why I chose to submit it to God. I wanted to live my life to the fullest and live to become the best person that I can be. Since I believe in God, I surrender it to God. And my prayer is for Him to spend my life in whatever way that pleases Him. He is, after all, the God of love, forgiveness and generosity.

Because of this revelation, I have also come to understand that surrendering is both the easiest and the most difficult task. Easy, because surrendering means submitting one’s self to the One who knows everything. But also difficult because not all believe in God and/or not everyone is ready to give up the full control of their lives to God.

But the most beautiful thing in the world is surrendering one’s life to the Maker. I wish everyone not only realize but also live to the truth that God exists and that He made each one of us - fearfully and wonderfully. (Psalm 139:14)

3. Act like the person you want to be.

This was a personal realization in the past. If you want to become someone, you don’t have to wait for the day when you’ll be that someone. Be that someone now! You can do it by believing that you are already the person that you aspired to be and by taking ownership of that role.

In Mark 11:24 Jesus said, “Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.” Jesus Himself instructed not to wait to receive. His instruction is to receive it now – believe that it’s already yours.

Knowing that something is already yours the moment that you asked for it, how will this change your whole situation? How will you act? How will you talk? How will you think?

By consciously having faith that the thing you asked for is already there in your pocket, how should this change you? How should this affect your faith and belief system?

Because of this exercise, we can truly measure how serious we are about getting something and up to what extent we can stretch our faith to get what we want.

Thank you for reading my Life’s 3 Little Secrets. I hope that you can share with me your Life's 3 Little Secrets too. Please visit Pru Life UK’s website at http://www.lifeslittlesecrets.com/ph/en/most-popular/ and choose your meme.

No comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

Post a Comment