Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

On Readiness and WikiChurches

The greatest challenge that I have encountered when I was still starting to build this blog, Passion 4 Jesus. Net, is the concept of “not being ready yet” to share my Christian experience to others. Everytime I think of a new topic to write about, a voice inside of me says that I am “not equipped yet” in sharing the Gospel through my blog.

When I attended the worship service at Victory Ortigas last Sunday, something extraordinary happened.

Last Sunday’s preaching was focused on how Victory Christian Fellowship was founded. I have learned that a man named Steve Murrell along with other missionaries from the United States came to the Philippines during 1984 to share the Gospel especially to the students who are attending classes in colleges and universities within the University Belt or U-Belt. I knew that during those times (1984 to 1986) a lot of rallies were staged to express the opposition of the Filipinos against the dictatorship of Marcos. In the middle of the rallies, imagine a group of American missionaries sharing the Gospel in front of “rallying-mode” students inside the old Tandem Cinema.

When Steve Murrell came to the Philippines as a missionary, he will describe himself as “idealistic” and “unprepared” for what was in store. Perhaps, his whole experience as a missionary in Manila is what became his motivation to write the book WikiChurch. In his book he said that today’s churches should be “WikiChurches” or use Wikipedia’s successful concept that people of all ages, backgrounds, expertise, and cultures (and not just paid experts) contribute. [Source: http://bit.ly/yqvIAe]
WikiChurch by Steve Murrell
[Source: http://shouldbereading.wordpress.com]

He further explained that the Bible didn’t speak about “being ready” in terms of sharing the Gospel to others. Jesus did not necessarily call the “experts” to be his followers but instead he called the common people- the fishermen- and even the “sinners”.

When I became a Christian, it occurred to me as a blogger that one day I can use my knowledge and skills in blogging to share the Gospel to others. In one of the previous worship services at Victory Ortigas even a young pastor said, “If you want God’s best for your life, find out what God is doing in your generation and throw yourself into it." Blogs and other social media sites (e.g. Facebook, Twitter and YouTube) are some of the greatest communication channels ever invented during our time. And clearly, these tools can be used to share the Gospel to others.

This is how I came to the idea of creating Passion 4 Jesus.Net. My goal is to inspire as many young people as I can to be passionate about Jesus.

I couldn’t describe to you the feeling that I felt when I realized that I can actually bless others through blogging for Jesus. I also couldn’t describe to you the experience of being tempted not to continue writing anymore each time I sit in front of my computer to start an article. But I thank God that I can always ask for His grace to keep me going and to rely on faith that it is Himself who is supplying me with the strength and wisdom that I need to share my experiences to others. I realized that when you start getting closer to God, that’s when more temptations come in. Knowing this, the more that I felt more blessed. It gave me the slight nudge that at least I am actually doing something for Jesus and that I am also getting somewhere near Him.

Another line that I will never forget during last Sunday’s worship service goes like, “God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called.”

For me, this nailed the message that Steve Murrell is wishing to impart to everyone through his book. God doesn’t call the “experts”, instead he calls every one of us, even the weakest among us, to share in the building of his kingdom.

Whoever we are and wherever we are in the world, we are welcome to share our Christian experience to others and to encourage others to start their own walk with God.

Just like how Victory puts it, “Honor God. Make disciples.”

To God be the Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment